09 Feb DOUBLE LISTENING REAUTHORISING NARRATIVE PRACTICE TRAINING 29 APRIL 2022
DOUBLE LISTENING Narrative Reauthoring Practice 29 April 2022
The One-day workshop will focus on DOUBE LISTENING narrative re-authoring practice. It is a practice skill opening up spaces to explore territories that exist side-by-side to problematic experiences.
DOUBLE LISTENING is more than active listening. According to David Pare (2013), double listening is “the practice of staying open to hopeful possibilities always on the other side of the struggle” and listening for words that may be “a hinge around which two stories can swing”. Monk and Winslade (2013).
DOUBLE LISTENING is a particular way of listening with our eyes, our senses, our ears, our imagination and curiosity.
DOUBLE LISTENING practice skill training will be a step-by-step experiential teaching and learning ways to listen, and what to listen for in the process of co-creating double storylines running parallel in client/people’s lives.
DOUBLE LISTENING practice skill may be applied in therapeutic conversations in clinical and non-clinical settings. The one-day workshop will have a focus on working with children, young people and families and effects of trauma.
The training will include live interview and stop/start video interview to guide therapeutic practice exercises and opportunities for reflections and questions.
This training is designed and suitable for psychologists, social workers, youth workers, family therapists, chaplains, counsellors and occupational therapists who work with children, young people and families.
This workshop will focus on
- Reflecting on beliefs and habits of listening that can stand in our way of double listening
- Listening is always active and selective; organised around meaning and shaped by experiences and by ideas acquired through our lives and by the discourses in which we participate and live
- ‘Tuning’ our ears so that we listen (and hear)in ways that help us contribute to therapeutic conversations that may be useful to persons
- Tuning our ears to listen for and capture small traces of subordinate stories such as
- Conjunctions words that interweave and intersect stories
But; or; and; hence; so, neither, since…
- Body speak – voice; pace; posture…
- ‘the absent but implicit’ story markers in person’s recounting their experiences
- Listening to bifurcation pointsas crossroads where several stories collide, meet or intersect
- Tuning in to half sentences…
By the end of this workshop participants will:
- Have increased understanding of how to engage in double-listeningreauthoring practice and what may block the double-listening
- Have experimented with, and gain increase confidence in double listening practice skill by tuning in to the usefulness of various aspects of listening/hearing that may have potentially been taken for granted
families and effects of abuse and Trauma.
For all enquiries and registration
Please contact Angela Ranallo
Mob: 0404470042 or firstname.lastname@example.org
“Double Listening Narrative Re-authoring Practice”
When: Friday 29 April 2022
Time: 9.30am – 4.30pm
Location:Conference Room- 544 William Street Mount Lawley
Cost:$295 including GST
$265 for AAFT members and/or trainees
- Morning and afternoon tea/coffee will be provided
- Venue is close to cafes for lunch convenience
Email: ________________________________________Phone: ______________________________________
Postal Address: _________________________________Mobile: _____________________________________
Work (context/ interests): _____________________________________________________________________
Agency Payment: ____________________________________________________________________________
Email: ___________________________ Phone _______________________
PAYMENT: Direct Debit or Credit Card facilities must be made on registration
Cancellation Policy Cancellation up to 1 week prior to commencing will incur an administration fee of $70. If you cancel your place with less than 1 week, refund will be made only under exceptional circumstances. Please note the workshop may be cancelled or rescheduled due to circumstances beyond the control of Angela Ranallo, in which case the fees will be fully refunded.